Sunday, June 12, 2005

Book Tagging

Happened to read an article in Sunday magazine of The Hindu. It was about blog world and famous bloggers. Not sure whether the author herself( Ramya Kannan) is a blogger or a regular columnist in Hindu. Anyways, was happy that blogging activity is getting the necessary underscore.

As I was thinking about it and was browsing Bharat’s blog, came to know abt this book tagging game. The game goes like this. U have to tag 5 books u read and 5 bloggers u admire. (atleast I construed it that way). Actually, I admire Bharat’s immense writing skills, and he was my inspiration to enter into the blog world. But again, the rule is that, u r not supposed to tag the one who tagged u.

I am convinced that I should become a part of this game and be an honest player too. The easier part first ie about the books.

I don’t want to classify myself as a voracious reader, though I want to be one. I am a late starter as far as reading habit is concerned and my bookshelf houses just more than a dozen numbers. Still, let me quote the books I liked.

Alchemist:

This was the book, which terribly inspired me. Having ventured Higginbothoms n number of times, not even once I bothered to investigate into its novel section, for I was under thorough misconception that thrillers and fictions couldn’t feed one’s mind. But this time I forced myself, since we thought of presenting a book for our friend. I did not hear anything about Paulo Ceolho when I was browsing this book; just by flipping few pages I was convinced that it is something worth presenting.

So, having taken the great responsibility of selecting a good book, I ought to check whether my choice was right. Thus I became the first user of that intended gift. Was moved so much that I started collecting books and more books and have some dozen books in a span of 9 months. Read it to experience it.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull:

This is in line with alchemist. Well-written short story(?) by Richard Bach. Just runs to 15 pages and really worth reading. It is available online for free.

Full Moon:

Fiction by PGW. Also my first book by PGW. Realized the magic words can create. Knew how differently common things can be put forth before us. Real good one.

Not a Penny More Not a Penny Less:

Again my first one by Jeffrey Archer. I cannot rate this as very interesting. Definitely worth reading.

Ponniyin Selvan:

In the list of good books, one cannot afford to ignore great Kalki’s Ponniyin Selvan. I never thought a historical novel could be made so interesting. I almost became mad about this book and read it in just 5 days. If u know tamil well and love reading, this book will be irresistible.

Vandaargal Vendraargal:

I am averse to tamil magazines like kumudam and ananda vigadan, for I believe that they make a living feeding cheap taste of public. But fortunately, I got this Vandaargal Vendraargal by Vikatan Publications, since I had the patience to peep into its contents. Madhan has done an excellent job of innovative narration of historical events in an interesting fashion, that u cannot not keep this book away till u get to complete it. I went through it twice and still feel like reading it again.

Now ended up quoting more than my quota of 5 books. But I don’t think I will be able to do the same thing for blogs.

Here my choice goes:

Pavithra:

Blogger with a difference. She maintains more than 3 blog sites, though I won’t say she equally contributes to all the three as each one serves a different purpose. Her excellent command over English and Tamil makes the visit to her site a memorable experience.

Ramya:

I was introduced to English short stories in her site. The grip over the language and the real emotional stories demands a revisit.

Desikann:

This blogger needs no introduction. He blogs in Tamil and a real good writer.

Ashok Gurumurthy:

A young fierce blogger who always wants to fight with the readers of his blog. More than his blogs, the comments section makes an interesting reading. An honest and fierce blogger.

Some of these bloggers r so popular that already someone would have book tagged. But my choice remains the same irrespective of that fact.

This leaves me one short of blogger I admire. Shows that I have to spend more time on blogspot. Know well that the blog world accommodates n number of great writers. But I follow only very few links.

With the satisfaction that I have made a genuine effort, I now wind up.

7 Comments:

Blogger RS said...

Thanks for the tag and the compliments :) Have posted my book lists! Alchemist is on my to read list and you reminded me of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, I had read it ages back !

Monday, June 13, 2005 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger expertdabbler said...

JLS for free?
thanks for this info...

idhukkudhaan blog padikanum:-)

Monday, June 13, 2005 3:20:00 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye said...

good choice of books and thans for introducing me the new bloggers

Monday, June 13, 2005 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Ramya Kannan of The Hindu is blogger. She blogs at http://ramyablogs.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

Thanks for the info kaps.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 4:43:00 AM  
Blogger Pavithra Srinivasan said...

Thanks for the tag - I'll be updating my English blog with the meme. :-)

Sunday, June 19, 2005 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Desikan said...

thanks for your note on my blog.

Sunday, June 26, 2005 6:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home