Sunday, July 24, 2005

Readymade or Selfmade? - II

Thumping sound of bike was a welcome distraction to Radha. Having bookmarked the page, she carefully placed the book which was in her hand where it belonged, and waited in sofa for Rohith to come.

Dressed in blue t shirt and black jeans, a bad combination in general parlance, Rohith looked reasonably good, while Radha observed him having a pensive mood. He sat beside his mother, calmly drinking the cool lemonade. As though the lemonade had done a great magic of pacifying his inner fighting, he looked relaxed.

‘My visit to refugees’ camp was a real eye opener. I fuss a lot about many a things, say over a not so good plate of food. What this poor helpless refugee can do? In an alien environment, with hopeful eyes to go back to their country, fearing harsh treatment by their surrogate shelter, with every morsel of food they eat, they feel insecurity. Though I personally disagree with their permanent settlement in our country, I feel sad for their pathetic state. How lucky we are amma’.

‘Yes Rohith. It is by looking at those who are less fortunate than us, God makes us know how fortunate we are.’ Radha gave a long pause. ‘ now dear, put all ur thoughts in writings and let me know how your day was. I bet that your magazine is surely getting one of the best articles this week from you.’

He went inside his room, closing the door. That means a strong indication that he is not to be disturbed. Of course though there was no warning as “Do not disturb. Journalist at work”, it was all implied.

The output was wonderful. So nice, that a worse critic like Radha found nothing to point out. That is how a writer writes when he decants what he feels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Leela, check out whether moon shines outside’, commented Deepthi, in a remarkably sunny afternoon.

Leela was confused. ‘Mr. Moon is not going to honor us by his presence as he fears the company of Mr. Sun, dear’, she giggled, thinking as if she uttered something terribly jovial.

‘ That is very much possible today. I see rohith devoid of all his cheerfulness. He is so lost and agitated that he comes out from Editor room for the fourth time and every time he comes out, I see him aggressive. God knows what the problem is.’ said Deepthi.

As she was saying this, Deepthi noticed Rohith all ready to leave for the day, while it was hardly 12.00 P.M. ‘What happened yaar? I do not see the usual vibrant Rohith. What makes u so agitated?’

He tried to pose a happy look. ‘Nothing Deepthi. Nothing to worry. I think I need a break and I do not feel well. We will meet tomorrow.’ Giving a warm smile, he left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Radha had to pacify him. He poured out. ‘my whole day’s visit to refugee camp and a satisfying write up that followed is not slotted to be published this week. You know what that idiot is planning to publish in that space? A terrible junk. George managed to get an interview from that half nude actress, and this pleased my invertebrate editor so much, that he decided to give a first preference to that cheap writing. And he says that is what people want. Who the hell he is to decide what people want? For all the 6 months I have been here, I saw him and he is such a fool who knows nothing apart from spell checking the journalist’s write up. He is devoid of ideas and lives solely by selling his pride and self-respect to our boss. He is a yes man. He says that my article will be published a week after. ’


‘Why I am placed in an alien environment in which I cannot cope up? I see my colleagues who are adaptive. I see my friends placed in a more friendly and democratic magazines. Even ours is a revered magazine. But the bureaucracy is so irritating that only a Government office can beat it in its laziness. I cannot succumb, when I know that I am right. But u know, most of the times I am forced to. And the mental agony I undergo when I succumb is terrible.’

Radha watched him calmly. It was usual for her ever since he got the job. ‘My son, u have to learn a lot. All agonies u undergo is to make u mature. Observe my son. Do not react. U cannot change the world. Change yourself.’

Agitated Rohith locked himself in the room, questioning the happenings around him. He started questioning about everything, and atlast questioned the God and as usual got no answer. He fell flat on the bed, as if only sleep can give the peace he needed.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fieryblaster,
interesting, I think I have an idea of where this tale is leading but I 'll WAIT FOR THE STORY TO BE COMPLETED. You can become a serious writer and publish a novel or something.
' OBSERVE, DO NOT REACT!'
interesting,observing things is a very good strategy to deal with the vicissitudes of life .

Sunday, July 24, 2005 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

thanks for those praising words. will be happy if u will hold ur words when i complete the story. struggling hard how i will put my thoughts sensibly.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Tantalising Tycoon said...

Hmmm,, Grown up rohit..
Well vasu u are a very fast thinker... Hey vasu slow down this can be a long story.. and not an 2.5 Hr Movie. Still its quite interesting..

Monday, July 25, 2005 5:06:00 AM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

@ pramodh: ya a bit long. iam planning to complete in iv episode.

Monday, July 25, 2005 11:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fieryblaster,

blogging less lately? guess you have some serious twist coming up for your story!

Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:23:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

twist? not yet started with the story. nowadays i get time to write only on sundays.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

thanks danica

Friday, July 29, 2005 1:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home