Friday, July 15, 2005

Readymade or Selfmade? - I

Weird noise came from little Rohith’s room. Trepidation caught Arundhathi and she was ready to trouble herself to see what her little grandson was doing. As she was about to dislocate herself from the arm chair, Radha came near and pacified her mother in law.

“Amma, ur grandson is playing with his strange toys. Machine guns, toy robots and all nasty sound creating electronic stuffs are his favourite playmates and his father is not hearing a word of mine.”, complained Radha.

Rohith, just five years old, was now out of his room, dragging the toy robot by its hand and placed it before his grandmother. She embraced him tightly, showing all her affection. Though he badly wanted to free himself, he would not. All he wanted was a new toy machine gun which was a far superior model than what he currently owns. Knowing that his pranks would yield no result with Radha, he expected Arundhadhi’s support.

But Radha was stubborn. She could not see her child loving those odd objects for she feared those would distract her child and make him ruthless. Had it been someother time, Rohith would have get things done through his father. But now that his dad was out of station and was expected only a week after, he was left with no other go.

Radha always proved to be a challenge for Rohith, as unlike other moms, she would not melt soon and stick to her principles, which were forcibly thrust on him too.

Rohith almost gave up and was looking for some interesting distraction. Just then, Arundhathi went to pooja room and was busy praying before the Almighty. “Why do u pray patti?” asked Rohith.

“To please the Lord my dear”, said patti, as she could not find any other simple explanation. “What will He do if we please Him?” asked Rohith. Thinking it a good chance to instill some noble thoughts into that young brain, Arundhadhi told that God would grant whatever we wish for, if we prayed to Him.

“I see”, said Rohith. Saying this, he went and kneeled down before Lord Shiva’s portrait. “Oh God, make my mom to say yes when I ask for that Bingo Bingo gun. We plan to shop today and I need to show that gun to Munna today evening. Grant this for me please and I promise to share the sweets I get today”. He stressed “today” too much so that Shiva could hear it properly and do the needful. He was now satisfied. Having made whatever he could to get the toy that day itself, he comforted himself in sofa.

But the after hours of shopping did not leave Rohith a happy kid. Stubborn Radha did not budge as expected and was trying to console him.

He was lying on his bed, hugging his grandma. “Patti, why God did not grant my wish? Did not I please Him sufficiently? Was He not ok with my deal of sharing sweets? Were u not correct in telling me that I would be granted whatever I like? Or was it wrong to ask for the toy?”

Arundhathi tried consoling him, giving some hazy explanation which hardly impressed Rohith. He slept thinking about his unaccepted prayers, hardly realizing that this question will haunt him for his life.

15 Comments:

Blogger Krish said...

Pump up more of your stories. I can see an author in the making :-)

Thursday, July 14, 2005 1:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story but a small observation

why didn't he grant my request? is a question that can haunt you forever only if you do not understand the truth about desire. a kid's desire for a plaything ( hey neat story , as a kid even I bugged my grandma for toy guns)is transmogrified into the youth's desire for meaningful relationships. the same thing haunts you when you are old in the form of regrets.
truly I agree with Sri Adi Sankara when he says
" baalastaavath krida sakthaha
tarunastaavath tarunee sakthaha
vriddasthavath chintaa sakthaha
pare brahmani kopi na sakthaha!

kindly excuse the fault-ridden transliteration but the verse means
the child is lost in play, lost in the charms of age the youth and the old man is lost in regrets and worries
alas! none yearns to be lost in the parabrahman!
so what do you say?

anyway write a novel sometime!

Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:19:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

@ thennavan: Really? great to know. :)

@Anand: Hi this is not yet over and the title says it is part I.

as far as parabrahman, I do not know what it is, and my little mind bugs me more of day to day problems. but think that u have lot more interesting to say. wish to read a nice blog related to this in ur space.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fiery blaster
(conjures up an image of a very mean looking dragon!)

I have posted something on martian missions and my future role in them. check it out when you have the time.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quick commenting there! anyway I'll post something earthly next time. check out my ramayana blog
www.srirangapuravihara.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fiery blaster
thou art the first visitor to my Ramayana blog. thanks a bunch.

I think Ramayana and Mahabharatha should be transmitted in as many media as possible for they are works of genius unlike most works of genius in the world.
this is not a translation it is a re-telling in my words (hope it is no disservice to valmiki).

Saturday, July 16, 2005 2:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when is part 2 of your story coming up?

protcols aside, point of yours was taken in the right sense!

Sunday, July 17, 2005 6:52:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

thanks anand. it is half done and planning to post it tomorrow.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 7:47:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

do not know why comment section shows wrong count.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Tantalising Tycoon said...

Hi,

NIce story building upp.. Well i think arundhathi is going to have tought time dealing her grandson.

Regards,
Pramodh

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 4:43:00 AM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

thanks pramodh. i am now thinking hard how part ii should be. think i have taken a bit heavy subject and i struggle to proceed. hope u all will bear if the output seems bad. :)

Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sdfd

Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi fieryblaster

The outcome does not matter, only the effort does. write as best as you can, I'm sure you'll finish this story well.
besides , trying to live up to your username (fieryblaster) eh? your comments were interesting in a way as I got to excercise my logic in defending my post. thanks

Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way
stopped reading the Ramayana?
I am getting no visitors to that blog!

Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger Tantalising Tycoon said...

Fieryblaster,,

Just blast out.. Everything will be fine.. No scrap has come from you ever.. So even this will come good..All the best.

Regards,
Pramodh

Friday, July 22, 2005 2:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home