Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Hell found me

Note: The challenge was, writing a story starting with hell found me. I tried my best.
Hell found me when I thrust that 10 rupees note in to that old beggar’s feeble hands. Thoroughly astonished, he viewed me with suspicion, checking the note. When he really gained confidence and thought of giving that thankful look, I was already away from him by few feet, in a hurry to catch the bus to Kottaiputtur.

Yearning for shade, I settled down at the bus stand, checking my belongings. Though the day was not too sunny, the long walk made me tired. Unaware of the remorseful moments I am going to undergo, I thanked the Almighty, when the bus came unexpectedly earlier and halted with a jerk usual to any state transport vehicle.

Like any other individual, immediately after entering the bus, my eyes searched for a comfortable place to seat myself. Alas, I had no choice. Except for a two seater in which a fat lady was sitting, the rest of the bus was already occupied. I got perplexed. Will that lady mind me sharing that two seater? I just cursed myself for being a man now. But I was in no state to think of all that stuff and continue standing carrying my heavy luggage. Also the lady looked older than me and won’t mind if I sit, I thought.

I went near her and parked my luggage and sat on the seat. The lady did not like my presence. Her gesture showed it clearly. But I pretended as if I noticed nothing. Only after sitting did I realize that I did not fit properly in the seat, as most of it was occupied by the lady herself. But this position was comfortable than standing. So I adamantly stuck to my decision.

My grandma always tells me not to sleep while traveling. But u see, it is really difficult to control your eyes, especially after a heavy breakfast of a typical Tamilian. I succumbed and never knew how long I slept.

I was romancing with Aishwarya Rai, when I heard a wild scream. Shaken, I woke up and witnessed the lady screaming frantically and to my misfortune, she was pointing at me and grumping to the conductor. Just then I noticed that, I was leaning on that lady’s shoulders. Struck by natural embarrassment, I distanced myself and made a pathetic face and looked at the conductor, solely craving for his support.

But my trouble chases me all along and the conductor was terribly irritated. He saw me as though seeing a womanizer, and yelled at me to vacate the seat. As a meek creature, I collected my baggage, and went to other side of the bus.

Still, the lady did not seem to shut her mouth. She shouted to stop the bus and hand me over in the nearest police station as she wanted to complain against me for eve teasing. Even in that dismal condition, I thought of laughing. She imagined herself too young to be eve teased, while I knew that even if her daughter were in her place, I would not have done that, for she would not be worth of that much energy, assuming she resembles her mother.

But gender gives all advantage. The grudging conductor came near me, demanding for the ticket. To add fuel to the fire, I realized that I did not bother to take the ticket till then. I told that, making all possible attempts to win his confidence. The conductor grew too suspicious, adding to my agony. Now he asked for my destination and gave me the ticket. I searched my pockets and was greatly relieved to find that 50 rupees note. As everything went against me, I doubted that it would be difficult to find that only currency note placed in my pocket. But I was fortunate enough to get it soon.

The sight of 50 rupee note enraged him once again and he demanded a 10 rupee note which was all the ticket was worth. Once again, I cried that I had no other money but for this silly currency. Grudgingly he took that note and the greatest disaster happened then. He noticed a hole, large enough for my little finger to sneak in and I immediately found that note thrashed on my face.

Now the conductor was all convinced that he should go by the fat lady’s words. He stopped the bus, and I found myself in police custody. The bus took off leaving me to my fate.

Tremblingly, I stood in a corner, thinking of spending next few months (or years?) here. A seemingly kind hearted policeman came near me and said, "Young man, u seem to be a decent guy. How can u resort to this sort of issues? And that too misbehaving with a lady of ur mother’s age? Too bad.". After a long time, I found someone talking to me giving me atleast the least respect a human being deserves.

I never knew that I could cry. I broke down, telling how fair and innocent I was, and begged him to release me.
Atlast my efforts bore fruit and he allowed me to make a call. Now I remembered my friend Anand who works as SI in a nearby station and rang up.

True to the proverb, a friend in need is a friend in deed, he made the best efforts for my release and finally we came out of the station.

I cancelled my trip, and just wanted to go home. He dropped me in the bus stand where I started my journey and bid farewell.

As I walked home thinking about the dreadful experience, I thought of that beggar. He was the scoundrel. If only I had that ten rupees note, I would not have lost my dignity.

As I went past, I saw him sitting in the same old place, eagerly opening the briyani parcel, and gulping it so greedily, that I immediately repented for what I thought. My heart filled with satisfaction, and now as usual with full energy, I went towards my place, to tell a twisted version of this story to my wife.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great One with tons and tons of imagination. Vijaya

Monday, July 04, 2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

thanks a lot VB.

Monday, July 04, 2005 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Perfecto! :-) If we get to meet, i can only imagine that we'll have a good load of bus travel stories. It can culminate into a travelogue 'Agonising adventures in state-transport buses'!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:08:00 AM  
Blogger Directhit said...

a very nice post.. i enjoyed it ;-))

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

@ atta girl: ya seems that we have had enough of experience with stc. and ur idea seems interesting. if we meet we can really work on it. :)

@ anoop: thanks for dropping in anoop.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 5:03:00 AM  
Blogger Directhit said...

thanks to u too! ;-)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm! so you think a guy who daydreams romances with Ash in the dreamland! interesting! I have never been weird enough to do that. my daydreams are usually about saving the world and fighting aliens!
I do transport myself to locales in my favourite books like jurassic park.

thanks for visiting my site. I'll blogroll yours!
keep visiting and I have not seen anniyan. I happen to be a fan of batman and I saw batman begins recently. I recommend it! good movie with a strong script.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger Tantalising Tycoon said...

Hi,

You just reminded me of my train journeys, where i used to miss my station almost everyday..Just for the reason... I hate to say.. I SLEEP IN THE TRAIN.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

@ Anand: ur blogs show how u day dream. :)

@Pramodh: This is not strange to u alone. I was almost on the verge of missing my station that a friendly co traveller was responsible enough to wake me. That was my first (and latest till now) train journey spent alone.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home