Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Unwelcome Guests

I was never enthused by the idea of taming a dog at my place. Still, this animal manages to peep into my life every now and then, giving some or other kind of trouble.

I have to accept that India is a country famous for street dogs. And beware, not every street dog is as orphaned as its lean, sunken-eyed brother in the corner of the street.

I also have to accept that my neighbors prove to be very kindhearted humans, at least as far as their hearts affairs concerned to those street dogs.

And these street dogs are faithful lots. They wag their tail to my good-hearted neighbor, eat the leftovers they throw and promptly empty their entrails at my doorsteps. And the neighbor has no complains and is happy about his newfound relationship with dog.

A dog is very active animal. He needs to be playful. But not all the time he can get his counterparts help in making himself active. When his friends are away, bound to the four walls, which they are supposedly guarding, the street dog at my place has to do something. He finds my clothes interesting. An occasional forgetfulness on my part to collect the clothes is rewarded properly in the morning. I am of course allowed to collect the torn pieces of clothes and cremate them with due respect.

You thought the silly dog does not read newspaper? You are thoroughly mistaken gentleman. The dog at my place does. The funny part is, he does not keep the paper intact after it is read. He prefers to chop it into tiny pieces, and leaves it just before my doorsteps. And my neighbor admires the naughtiness of the playful street dog.

And come December, the mating game starts. As you know every animal has its own right to search a mate. So is the street dog at our place. This attracts a few more unwelcome guests. Though our S.D. cleverly manages to have all the fightings outside the complex, it is do or die situation you see. Hence when situation warrants, he could not avoid a nasty fight inside our complex. We all watch it with terrified eyes, holding our children intact, witnessing atleast half a dozen dogs fighting fierce fully.

So, one fine morning I decided to put an end to all these naughtiness of this playful friend. I administered stick therapy. For every wrongdoing he committed that day, he was properly given a vigorous dose of a heavy blow from a specially chosen stick. He felt the pain badly, that he almost stopped short of coming to our complex, but for appointed hour to have dinner.

The idea behind the whole post is, those who feed these dogs, really do not care to claim ownership of these dogs when it damages other’s property. They do not have time or care to train these dogs. But it is easier for them to feel sympathetic and throw some leftovers. The dog is brainy enough not to disturb its sympathizer. Either the street dogs have to be done away with or the nasty neighbors.

11 Comments:

Blogger Yadayada said...

I am scared of dogs too. I am already a member of the "I Hate Dogs" community, do you want to join? :-)

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:34:00 PM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

yadayada, thanks a lot for that welcoming comment. :)

Monday, July 31, 2006 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Thayirsaadham said...

:-)

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

thanks for dropping in ganesh. :)

Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:05:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Vasumathy- why no posts for such a long time? Came here thru your comment on my blog... Im a tam girl born and brought up in Bombay -had no exposure to chennai until i married a chennai-boy. I fell all in love with that city, the pace of life, the culture, the language, Vivek comedies, filter coffee...just about everything...would love to be in touch
Warmest,
N

Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:49:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey was so happy to read your blog that i forgot all about your post...I totally agree with your post and for some reasons, all SDs find me an interesting playmate. Im petrified of them ever since i got bitten by my friend's dog when i was just 6. Nalla velai Maneka Gandhi inda post padikkalai hehehehe

Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:52:00 AM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

bitten by dog? that doubles or even triples the hatred for dogs. hope at bombay u have lesser no. of street dogs to deal with. :)

ya have to post something on my blog. it is a long pending work:)

Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi vasu.. Long time..I read your blogs well.. Hope you know that i shited to Bangalore and am plannig to settle down here.. Remember the blog i told you will be posting in a short while.. Climax has reached.. Guess What Climax is a Tragedy...
Do contact me in my mail id
Pramodh_kommattil@yahoo.co.in

Regards
Tantalysing Tycoon.. Now very Silent

Friday, October 06, 2006 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Viji said...

Vasumathy, thanks for dropping by otherwise i may not have a chance to know you. You write well. Interesting! If possible contribute something to RCI. Viji

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

Many people are afraid of dogs, but at their heart most people understand that hitting an animal is wrong and-- in many parts of the world-- a criminal act. I've rarely seen someone who's proud of it. I feel almost as sorry for you as I do for that poor dog you're abusing.
"Doing away with dogs" is not a solution to dog overpopulation-- spaying and neutering is, and even in India there are people working for this. Consider joining hands with or donating to these efforts, to find a solution to both your problems and the dogs'. And since it sounds like you have kids, try not to set up a cruel example for your kids by showing them that hitting animals is okay. Remember, as someone wise once said, "Teaching a boy not to step on a caterpillar is as important to the boy as it is to the caterpillar."

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:32:00 AM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

@ vaishali:
It was great to read your comment. I have been following yor website closely for many years now.

abt beating the dogs, that was a thing of past. still, let me justify. Unlike in other countries, street dog menace is a great problem in India. It is even difficult to cross a street with the huge number of dogs straying and barking at you.

what i wanted to convey in this post was, it is highly irresponsible to feed a street dog and not to take any onus for its actions. one should adopt a dog if one is sympathetic. careless act brings trouble to others also.

and had you been a victim of these acts of street dogs, you will never feel bad for hitting them. we often beat our children too when they go way off. is it not? I do not harm animals and other living beings ruthlessly. it is an occassional act to protect my interests.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home