Thursday, February 24, 2005

Life in Chennai

24.02.2005
West Mambalam.
Chennai


I was a bit late for the office as I started only by 9 AM today. Knew pretty clear that state transport will not be fast enough to suit my urgency. Hence took a private auto so as to avoid being labeled late.

When auto man agreed for 50 bucks without arguments, thought it was by luckiest day, and got in thanking God. But alas, I never knew God had different plan. Auto just took a left from my house to reach the main road, and I was amazed to see lines of vehicles, locked to their places.

There stood a gigantic metro water lorry, dutifully filling the water tank, and the driver seemed to notice none of the happenings. He was busy cleaning his ear, watching the tank filling. An impatient young man by the side of my auto was under thorough misconception that the lorrywala will budge for a heavy horn. But poor guy was chided by fellow travelers and ultimately stopped the horn.

Even the little gap available was blocked by a car. The autowala was responsible enough and got down to clear the traffic. The two wheelers started moving, slowly though, but I was stranded, waiting behind the lorry.

It was already 9.15AM and I was worried. To our relief, the lorry moved and the vehicles followed it faithfully and my joy knew no bounds. But it was short-lived. The movement was only to fill another tanker just a few feet away.

After patient waiting of 10 more minutes, our corporation staff looked back to get a clear view of waiting vehicles, giggled gleefully, and took the vehicle.

The usual traffic and difficulty with signals in Anna Salai need not be explained to Chennaities . Passing all these hurdles I successfully landed near Raheja Towers, only to find my auto driver in a bolshie mood to ask more. I ended up paying ten bucks more and managed to reach office at exactly 9.55 AM. Labelled as late once again. (Ah! Who cares)


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vasu,

Just think of moments where we used to leave late.

Regards
Pramodh

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:48:00 AM  
Blogger fieryblaster said...

Yes pramodh u r right to point that out. I am happy that I am able to leave on time here.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home